Welcome to my other blog. I started this one shortly after graduating from the C.I.A, to differentiate between my food and my other thoughts. It's a cozy little place with frequent weird but real, honest thoughts.

There's really not much more to say here, as anything mildly interesting is either down below or written in my Armadillo section above.
Hope you can relate to some of my thoughts and situations, even if they tend to be strange sometimes

Monday, April 11, 2011

Best First Date Ever

It was raining and slightly humid. Matt and I trudged up the hill, away from school and towards the main road. It's springtime 2006. We both lacked a car, and I thought I remembered the diner being only about a mile away. It wasn't raining when we left, and we felt it'd be nice to walk and enjoy each other's company.


When we passed the drive in movie theater, I realized I was wrong.

It was our first real date. I had gift certificates from Christmas for the Eveready diner, a local favorite, and now I had someone to take. We were slowly becoming more and more damp as we made our way up the road.

But I was so dopey with happiness I hardly noticed. By all accounts, this was the worst date ever. It was raining, the diner was farther than I thought, and we were walking. But all I could think about was how happy I was.
I already had the worst date ever over extern. I was dating a guy, and we went into New York City on my day off. He'd never been there. We were going to see a show and spend the day. We'd taken the Circle Line and got lost. Long story short, I still have scars from the blisters on my small toe from walking many miles in cute brown wedgies (I know, you don't need to tell me to not wear wedgies in the city!).

I kept apologizing to Matt, but I couldn't stop smiling. I felt badly for him, because I had no idea what he was feeling.

Five years later, I still remember what we had. My usual burger, and he had a roast beef aus jus sandwich.We talked and laughed and relaxed. Drying and eating. We laughed about the rain, and talked about the food and what we wanted to cook for dinner.


Every time I think about our first date, I feel the same giddy feeling I had when we first became a couple. That swell of happiness. It was ridiculous.
We've always had this mutual respect for each other. No name calling, no meanness. We don't exchange nasty words.....You know, the same respect real couples give each other. What kind of couple treats each other like crap!? Insecure ones, obviously. I'd never allow anyone to treat me the way I've seen couples treat each other. I really pity people who are in such bad relationships, because they are in such denial and probably have had a history of bad relationships and don't know any different...Which is really sad. (If you justify his "love" based on the size or cost of your engagement ring, you might be in a bad relationship...Or a stupid gold digger) I'm really lucky to have a real man who respects women, is smart and secure with himself and us. I know how rare that kind of love is.


So, I'm watching the latest episode of Ruby, and she's on a date, and it's making me smile, because I remember those early feelings. That bubbly time of flirting, catching each other's eyes and smiling. Hand holding and a constant feeling of happiness. It reminds me of those happy feelings and that you can still get them. I was going to say I hope I'm this happy decades from now, but I hope I'm happier. The kind of happy that's a vintage red wine. Love is never this happy every second, but when it is, it's pretty damn good.


This post is so disgusting. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. First dates are always good to write about! It's very romantic and wonderful to hear how happy you still are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a good first date. I envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story!

    One of our first dates (although not THE first) was spent walking along the Genesee River in the pouring rain, but I still loved ever minute of it.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blogger Id or anything, please leave your name, I like to see who comments!

I moderate every comment, so while I respect your right to express your opinion, I reserve the right to not post it. If you want to be nasty, ask yourself "Is she really worth the trouble?". (PS- I'm not. I'd probably post it everywhere and make fun of you)