Welcome to my other blog. I started this one shortly after graduating from the C.I.A, to differentiate between my food and my other thoughts. It's a cozy little place with frequent weird but real, honest thoughts.

There's really not much more to say here, as anything mildly interesting is either down below or written in my Armadillo section above.
Hope you can relate to some of my thoughts and situations, even if they tend to be strange sometimes

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Good Rowayton Girls

Sometimes I feel like I'm expected to marry someone in my area. Some nice WASP boy from Rowayton from a well-to-do family. Or a boy from Darien with similar attributes? Maybe that's why my family teases me about my boyfriend. A guy with a slight accent from Ohio. Is that why they don't like him? Because a Rowayton girl is expected to marry a Rowayton boy? Am I supposed to marry within my area like good Jewish girls are ''supposed'' to marry good Jewish boys?

I never knew who I'd end up with growing up. I wasn't too concerned with marriage at such a young age. I liked a boy or two in my class, but never exactly thought of long-term outside the crush-spectrum. But was I actually expected to marry one of these guys?! Truly they must have been kidding!! Outside of cute eyes and smiles, and mild personality and intelligence, they didn't have much I wanted to be apart of. Nor where they especially kind to me. The kind of kindness you pity the weird girl with. (Now that I see what these guys have become, I think how lucky I am to have dodged quite a bullet)
But as I became older and got interested in long term things; my education and career, I thought of who I'd want to end up with later on. I knew I wanted to marry a guy who could cook. I loved to bake and knew I was going to go to school for it, so, naturally, I knew I'd meet my husband in college.

And that pretty much satisfied me. Satisfied me from middle school to college. I didn't date (what guy would want the awkward looking girl?) or even really talk to guys (the closest thing I got to a guy in high school were the tom boys in my all girl's school). I knew when I got to college, things would be different. I knew I'd grow into my awkwardness and grow out of my weird looks. I knew I'd find a guy who shared my interests and values. And to me, it made the most logical sence to not invest time and feelings into a relationship as immature as teenage ones that aren't gonna last. Why waste time on a guy in a relationship that was going to end in bitter heartbreak?

So, now I have him. A cook (an especially amazing cook), who's dead smart, sweet, funny, interesting, friendly, polite, understanding, motivated, gentlemanly; all the things a girl could want. Except for the suspecting feeling my family doesn't think of him long term, like I do. I've been with him almost three years, and I'd like to be secure that my family actually approves of him.

I really don't know if they approve. Surely they must know I'm a nervous and neurotic wrek, and take teasing about my appearance, cooking, way of talking, and anything attached to me in general, very seriously. So when I get teased, and even worse, my sister gets to go on these little day trips with her boyfriend who haven't even been together half a year yet, I get a little annoyed.

Anyway. I just wish I knew. "Unfortunetly" I'm one of those girls who cares about what her family thinks of her and her siginificant other, and if there's even a smiggen of discontent, there's going to be problems down the road.

1 comment:

  1. From one SHA girl to another this "the closest thing I got to a guy in high school were the tom boys in my all girl's school" really amused me.

    Glad you found someone you like and who likes you for yourself. I did the same thing (waiting to college)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blogger Id or anything, please leave your name, I like to see who comments!

I moderate every comment, so while I respect your right to express your opinion, I reserve the right to not post it. If you want to be nasty, ask yourself "Is she really worth the trouble?". (PS- I'm not. I'd probably post it everywhere and make fun of you)