Welcome to my other blog. I started this one shortly after graduating from the C.I.A, to differentiate between my food and my other thoughts. It's a cozy little place with frequent weird but real, honest thoughts.

There's really not much more to say here, as anything mildly interesting is either down below or written in my Armadillo section above.
Hope you can relate to some of my thoughts and situations, even if they tend to be strange sometimes

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Logical thinking and mild cop-outs

Well, I'm not sure how to begin or talk about this post. It would be incredibly arrogant and egotistical of me to assume that the people who have my cover letter and resume would bother to look at my food blog, let alone this one, but I know better. It would happen that the one time you talk about a job or an employer that they'd find out. And I'm pretty sure the school has some sort of "Let's not be negative about any potential employer or anyone in the food industry...EVER!!!" policy. ...they kind of look down on that.
So I'll have to tread lightly on this one.

I'm thinking about jobs and such. My mother is pressuring me to get a job in some bakery somewhere. But I'm a stubborn person, and just a little bit difficult. I refuse to succumb to her suggestion and do what I want to do. (Which my mother has ended many arguments with a very guilt ridden "WELL! You always do what YOU want to do ANYWAY!"- What's so bad about being determined to do what you want to do?) I have my reasons: 1) My brother will need a car for extern- whenever that happens. 2) My mother needs the car sometimes, which she should take anyway 3) Gas prices are INSANE!! Insane. So if I can save a car and half my paycheck going into gas every week, why not? 4) My hands are horrible. I can't make things look very nice, and I'm getting a little frustrated over the fact that my mother doesn't understand how difficult it is for me to ice, pipe, cut and decorate. So my confidence in that area isn't there. I can make things taste good and make them great, but that last important stage is something I lack.

Anyway, I don't want to work in a bakery in Stamford, or Bridgeport, or Greenwich, or anywhere else my sister or mother can find. I just don't. I want somewhere in biking or walking distance. Is that really too much for them to understand?

There's this Church secretary job that pays $15/hr, and even with taxes taken out it would still probably be more than most anything else I can find. I'd be lucky to get anything over $10 anywhere else. It's part time, and would open up potential babysitting jobs, providing extra income. This isn't the rest of my life. Just a temporary job. I wish they would understand that.

If I end up working at the part time baking job, that's great, but this would be good too. I want something part time, in town, and pays well. This is it. This is just a part time job. Not the rest of my life. How many c0llege grads do exactly what their degree dictates the first 6 months out of college anyway? Not many, that's for sure. This part time job would be great while I work on my food writing stuff. I'm going to send out more things this week and hopefully things will start to happen. Until then, a job as a Church Secretary, or a part time baker, will do just fine.

5 comments:

  1. I think that you are thinking very logicly. I don't think that your sister and your mother have realalistic expectations about the "jobs" that you can get. Do they even know how much you are probbly going to get paid? Just a thought.

    Matthew Good

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.foundmagazine.com/find/929

    grammar.... :sigh::

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who you are, Anonymous, but thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ;) you're welcome. (I thought you'd enjoy it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some guesses on who this is, but I don't know for sure, so who are you, Grammar person? (I spent all day looking through that site and cracking up. It made my night)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blogger Id or anything, please leave your name, I like to see who comments!

I moderate every comment, so while I respect your right to express your opinion, I reserve the right to not post it. If you want to be nasty, ask yourself "Is she really worth the trouble?". (PS- I'm not. I'd probably post it everywhere and make fun of you)